Setup Power BI Web App
The Power BI service (SaaS) and the Power BI Embedded service in Azure (PaaS) have APIs for embedding your dashboards and reports.
To call these Power BI API’s requires you to create Power BI Web application.
Follow the steps below to register a new application.
- Navigate to https://dev.powerbi.com/apps and sign in as a Power BI/Azure administrator.
- Specify any App Name.
- For App Type, select “Native app
- For Redirect URL, put the URL of your Portal Site.
- In ‘Choose APIs to access’ section, select “Read All Dashboards” and “Read All Reports” for API permissions.
- Then register your app by clicking on “Register App” button. Note the Client ID.
Note: Make sure your account has the required permission to access the application.
Follow the steps below to grant permission:
- Log in to the Azure Portal https://portal.azure.com as Azure administrator.
- Click on ‘All Services’ in the left panel and search for “App registrations”.
- Click on ‘App registrations’ and select the respective app which you want to display in The Portal Connector.
- The Power BI Web App window will open, click on ‘Settings’. From the Setting panel, click on ‘Required Permission’ under API access section.
- Now in the Required Permission window, click on “Grant Permission”.
To display reports in The Portal Connector using Power BI Web app, you would need to configure the application in The Portal Connector as follows:
- Navigate to the Sitefinity backend
- Go to Administration > Settings > Advanced > PortalConnectorMvcPowerBI > Application Configurations
- Click Create New
- Fill in the information, the App Name here does not have to match your App Name configured previously
- The username and password should be for a user that has access to view all the reports/dashboards you want to view