Portal for Data Entry

2 posts, 1 answered
  1. Chace Lorans
    Chace Lorans avatar
    1 posts
    04 Jun 2021
    04 Jun 2021
    Link to this post
    Hi. I was recommended this solution for my use case, instead of Power Apps portal so I would like a few clarifications if possible.

I have a client that is asking of my team to develop an online portal for data entry. Basically, data (Excel files, potentially other sources later as well) is fed through the portal, entities are created from the Excel datasheets in Dynamics 365, and then Power BI reads from D365 as a data source and dashboards can be created. Also need to define user groups and roles for data input through the portal. The client is already using Dynamics 365 so we need to build over it the required entities to feed to the dashboard.

1 - Is the Portal Connector feasible to be used a data entry portal for data?
    2 - Since it has integration with D365, how would the workflow exactly look? You upload the data manually to the portal, then the tables in the sheets get transformed or categorized into entities in D365? Can the connector do that?
    3 - Can you view dashboard from within the portal? I need to build dashboards in Power BI after getting the created entities from D365 so can I then view them through the portal? 

I'm very new to all of this so any help would be appreciated. If you have a better solution or workflow please feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks. 
  2. Andre B
    Andre  B avatar
    16 posts
    10 Mar 2020
    Answered
    08 Jun 2021 in reply to Chace Lorans
    Link to this post
    Hello Chace,

Thank you for considering the Portal Connector. I have provided a bit of information regarding your questions below. 

Q - Is the Portal Connector feasible to be used as a data entry portal for data?

Yes, the Portal Connector is an excellent choice for a data entry portal. It has a familiar interface and can be customized to meet your specific needs. 

Q - Since it has integration with D365, how would the workflow exactly look? You upload the data manually to the portal, then the tables in the sheets get transformed or categorized into entities in D365? Can the connector do that?

Once a connection to the D365 environment is established, those entities become accessible to the Portal Connector. It allows the user, from the portal, to create, edit, delete or display records as they see fit, provided it is within the confines of the product. In some cases, if a custom solution is required, we could meet with you to develop a solution the fits your needs, or it could be developed internally if you have developers.

Q - Can you view dashboards from within the portal? I need to build dashboards in Power BI after getting the created entities from D365. So can I then view them through the portal? 

Yes, it is possible to view your Power BI dashboards in the portal.

To have a more in-depth discussion about the Portal Connector and how it could meet your needs, I recommend reaching out to our Sales Department - sales@portalconnector.com

Regards,
    André
2 posts, 1 answered