PROS for using Dynamics 365 Portals:
- If you are looking for a basic portal that does not need to be customized, you may find one of the preconfigured Dynamics 365 Portals will meet your needs.
- If you find that you will only ever want to use one of the portal types being offered by Dynamics 365 Portals, then this is a great choice.
- If you have already mastered the complexity of the previous ADX Studios portal solution, and can effectively customize a portal with that technology, then you may find that Dynamics 365 Portals is a good option.
- Dynamics 365 Portals is hosted online, within the framework of Dynamics 365 in Azure.
The most compelling PRO for Dynamics 365 Portals is that one portal comes free with Dynamics 365.
Before you pull the trigger on a Free Portal, you may want to consider the CONS of using Dynamics 365 Portals.
CONS for using Dynamics 365 Portals:
- Additional portal sites for development, QA and user acceptance testing come with a hefty, recurring monthly cost.
- If you want to make changes to your web portal and require specific functionality, you will need to find a programmer that has mastered the underlying portal technology in Dynamics 365 Portals. This can get expensive.
- Customizations or new functionality that you require to solve complex needs may not be able to be accomplished as you cannot use .Net code to customize the portal.
- You have no access to the site files or source code for the portal.
- If you want to provide your customers with more portal experiences than are offered by Dynamics 365 Portals, that will require complex, time consuming custom programming.
- If you want your web portal to be part of your company’s website, Dynamics 365 cannot seamlessly integrate, but will require a series of iFrames to accomplish this.
- If you choose to keep your Dynamics CRM / Dynamics 365 solution on premise, then you cannot use Dynamics 365 Portals, which is only available online, in Azure.